July 8th & 9th
I think we have found the limit that the kids can do hiking. Yesterday we went on a hike to String and Leigh Lakes and today we did a hike to Taggert Lake. Both days we packed in our lunches and fishing poles. The boys did some fishing but we didn’t catch any fish. Yesterday was about 3 miles and today was 3.8 miles. Although I must add that they temperatures are finally back to normal again here, which is around 75 degrees compared to several days ago of the low 60’s. That makes a huge difference in the hot sun while carrying a backpack or a camelback. Along with the heat comes more bugs (constant deer flies) and the kids get really worn out (which is constant complaining). Although we still had a great time, the end of both hikes got a little tough. But we found ways to keep everyone happy. The kids (and Doug) did a chilly swim at the end of the Leigh Lake hike and today we kept splashing chilly mountain stream water over the kids so they were dripping wet while hiking. Doug (AKA the mountain man) is of course happy doing it all so it doesn’t affect him in any way. Me, I am satisfied with a cold Teton Ale after the long hike – it’s all good!
Yesterday at the urging of Doug I went on a great trail run for 5 miles. As far as the marathon training plan, I am sure it counts as 7 or 8 as the trail was rough and the elevation (we are at about 6,000 feet) makes it pretty challenging. While I ran, Doug took the boys fishing again no fish but the boys LOVE just casting. We met up after my run and watched the sunset, it was absolutely beautiful over the mountains and Jackson Lake.
Later today we are heading to Jackson Lodge for dinner at the Mural room. Jackson Lodge is really awesome and hopefully dinner will be delicious. Tomorrow we leave the Tetons and drive on to Glacier National Park. It is going to be about a 8 hour drive according to Mapquest, for us with the RV probably closer to 10 (when does that ever happen?). Hopefully our next RV park has wireless at our campsite so I can keep up better with our blog.
Still terrible wireless connection, so no pictures . . . . Can’t wait to share them, they are AWESOME!
No comments:
Post a Comment